One question I often get asked is where's the line between a friendship and an emotional affair? If you are not sure whether or not your friendship has turned into an emotional affair here are some questions you should ask yourself:
- Do you confide more to your friend than to your partner about how your day went?
- Do you discuss negative feelings or intimate details about your marriage with your friend but not with your spouse?
- Are you open with your spouse about the extent of your involvement with your friend?
- Would you feel comfortable if your partner heard your conversation with your friend?
- Would you feel comfortable if your partner saw a videotape of your meetings?
- Are you aware of sexual tensions in this friendship?
- Do you and your friend touch differently when you're alone than in front of others?
- Are you in love with your friend?
If you can answer 'yes' to just 3 or more questions, chances are pretty good that you are having an emotional affair.
*This quiz is by Shirley P. Glass and was first printed in USA Today (June 20, 1988) in an article by Karen Peterson, "When platonic relationships get too close for comfort," p. 6D.